Tuesday, March 3, 2009

yummy.

I have been trying new recipes. It's the blogging about them that is the hard part for me. I made this yummy recipe a couple weeks ago. There was a little bit left over and it was equally delightful for lunch the next day. It is so delightful, I suggested we have it for our Relief Society's March 17th party dinner. MMmmm. I hope there is lots leftover. Ha!
Cashew Chicken & Broccoli
from Pillsbury

1 cup uncooked rice
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil (if desired)
1 pound chicken breast- cut into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 green onions- sliced
1 cup salted roasted cashews

Cook rice.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix soy sauce, gingerroot, sugar and sesame oil. Stir in chicken until coated; let stand 15 minutes to marinate.

In a small bowl, stir 1/4 cup of the broth and the cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved; set aside.

In skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and add to heated oil in skillet; reserve any remaining marinade. Cook chicken about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center.

Stir broccoli and remaining 1/2 cup broth into chicken in skillet; cover and cook 1 minute. Stir in onions and cashews.

Stir reserved marinade into cornstarch mixture. Stir into chicken mixture; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.

Serve over rice.
We like to put sesame seeds on our stir fries. Although in this picture it looks like I like a little stir fry with my sesame seeds!
The sauce didn't really thicken- it actually disappeared. So when I make this again I think I will double or at least 1 and a 1/2 the marinade.

2 comments:

aniC said...

it's really kind of you to test out all of these recipes so that when you come visit us next month, you will have the menu all planned out for us. you really are the greatest friend ever!

Andrea said...

I always have to double sauces it seems.
It does look like you have a lot of sesame seeds. I'm not sure I've ever put any on my stirfry before. Have to try it out.