Thursday, March 5, 2009

On top of spaghetti. All covered in cheese.

I don't remember ever having spaghetti & meatballs growing up. But I always wanted to have them because they just look fun. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it.
To fulfill my childhood dream.
Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs & Spaghetti
from Pillsbury

4 mozzarella string cheese- cut into 18 (3/4 inch) cubes
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 jar (48 ounces) pasta sauce
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 Tablespoons onions- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 egg
12 ounces cooked spaghetti
2/3 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese

Place cheese cubes in small plastic zipper bag. Seal and freeze for at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 375◦. Line 15x10x1 inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix bread crumbs and 3 Tablespoons of pasta sauce. Stir in beef, onion, salt, oregano and egg. Shape mixture into 18 inch balls. Press 1 cheese cube into center of each ball, sealing it inside. Gently place in pan. Bake 10 minutes.



Meanwhile, pour remaining pasta sauce into 5 quart pot. Cover; heat to simmering over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.

Be cafeful when doing this step. See that little geyser at the top of the picture. It caused a lot of splattering. Unfortuntely my cookbook got the brunt of it.

Gently stir in meatballs; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center.

Meanwhile, cook and drain spaghetti. Keep warm.
Serve meatballs and sauce over spaghetti. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

My meatballs didn't survive going from the pan to the pot. Or being stirred in the pot. Now I can see why my Mom never bothered making spaghetti and meatballs. I am not sure what would make them keep their shape...
*baking longer?
*making them bigger?

Even though it wasn't as meatbally as I had hoped, it was still fun and delicious. And I will for sure be making this recipe again!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

mmmm. that does look yummy.

Andrea said...

I prefer normal spagetti too because the meatballs never work. Maybe they have to be smaller and cooked longer? but those look good.

Kim said...

I always wanted spaghetti and meatballs too...but of course we never had it growing up. Then at my first family reunion (after I was married) with Cody's family his step mom made meatballs that were quite interesting, so I never attempted to make them. This recipe looks so yummy though so I think I should give it a try!! Love all your recipes and reviews!