Tuesday, July 31, 2007
1. I went to Ricks College 2 weeks after I graduated from High School. I got accepted for the Fall only if I started in the summer.
2. I took a Bowling class my first semester at Ricks. It was the best. I still don't know how to keep score- thank goodness for bowling technology!! We had the dance teacher for our teacher so all we did was bowl- EVERYDAY. Then the last day we had a final written test. Didn't do so well on that.
3. I wanted to be a sign language interpreter when I first started. But they didn't have the major at Ricks... so I switched to Broadcasting. Loved it. But haven't done a day of Broadcasting since I graduated.
4. For my radio broadcasting class we had to do 2 shifts a week on the Ricks radio station- KWBH 91.5. We had to play a certain percentage of LDS music and the rest was "normal" music. SO funny. It is so hard to be funny and entertaining when you are sitting in a room by yourself and have no idea who- if anyone is listening. In fact we would have prizes to give away- like Blizzard's and Sandwiches, etc and often no one would call in... so I would call my roommates and tell them to call in. Ha ha. Once I even pretended to be my roommate because no one was calling into my friends show. (employees weren't allowed to win!)
5. I had an evening show with my friend Jeff called "Top 20 countdown with Jeff & Shelley" or something like that! But we couldn't play very many of the top 20 songs- because they had references to breaking the word of wisdom or law of chastity.
6. I applied and got rejected to BYU 3 times. I really wanted to go... but now- I am glad that it worked out how it did.
7. I went to BYU-IDAHO after my mission and LOVED it. I decided to major in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (Home Ec) because of my mission (long story). I was a little hesitant because I didn't want to be in all girl classes. But that ended up being the best thing ever. I loved my classes.
8. My Master's is the next step... but I just have to decide where and what in. Too many choices.
I thought that would be hard to think of 8... but now I wish it was a higher number because there is still so much to share!! Ahh... the memories. I am going to Rexburg on Thursday and am so excited to see everything and everyone (that is still there). It will be hard to leave.
Thursday, July 26, 2007
I was first introduced to these in South Carolina. Kind of an interesting story but I will spare you the details. I actually didn't eat them because I was too full from the HUGE baked potato I ordered but my friend Ben ate them and raved about how delicious they were. So I googled them and found a recipe- tried them out... and have been in love ever since. I seriously have made them for every dinner party/ bbq I have gone to since the big discovery. And now I share them with you. They are sweet- which I didn't expect. The original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar- but I tried putting a little less and they are just as good. I even made it with splenda and it is also good. I would recommend cheddar cheese rather than mozzarella- not as much flavor with the mozzarella- and I have yet to try it with sharp cheddar but I am sure that is even more flavor. Enough of my rambling... here is the recipe you MUST try... or invite me over for dinner and I will bring them! :)
Cheesy Biscuits (from Jim N’ Nicks)
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
4 Tablespoons margarine- softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Mix ingredients dry ingredients together. Mix liquid ingredients together. Mix together until just moist. Pour into greased muffin tin. Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes.
(I have only used mini muffin tins- but I am sure the big ones will work just as well)
Try them and let me know what you think!!
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
check this out to see our big win!!
Friday, July 6, 2007
It calls for 2 red peppers... I changed my recipe to 1 and actually didn't even put in 1/2. I don't like peppers though- so do as you wish.
Crunchy Poppyseed Chicken Salad
4 cups broccoli slaw
1 large red pepper- thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
4 medium carrots- shredded (about 2 cups)
1 can (8 oz) pineapple tidbits-drained
6 oz chicken breast- cooked and cut up
1/2 cup Poppyseed dressing
1/4 cup cashews
Combine all ingredients except dressing and cashews in large bowl.
Add dressing. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with cashews before serving.
There is some leftover so I think I will go eat some right now! Enjoy!