Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I voted.

Today I voted.
The last time I voted was when I was 18.
I have been living in the States during every other election.
One year I tried to figure out how to vote from out of the country.
It was much too confusing. So I didn't.
But today- I did.

It has been interesting to see the differences between elections in U.S. and Canada.

In Canada- our election was just announced less than 2 months ago. So less time for annoying election commercials. In the U.S. there have been annoying elections commercials and news stories for ummm... ever.
In the U.S.- there are only 2 major parties. Canada has 5 parties (plus independents) to choose from. Sometimes more choices are good. But that depends on the choices.
In the U.S.- you vote for your president. In Canada- you vote for your local leader, and that determines who the Prime Minister (the leader of our country) will be.
In Canada- they candidates are required to speak english and french. In the U.S.- it is a fluke if they speak a language other than english.
In the U.S.- I couldn't vote. In Canada- I can.

And I did.

How grateful I am for the freedoms we enjoy and the choices we have.

No comments: