Tuesday, May 26, 2009

IFHRTCB Bars

I saw this recipe on the cooking blog- Sweet Sista' and knew right away that I HAD to make them.
She called them Pink Slip Bars because she made them for co-workers after finding out they were all being laid off.
I made these 2 months ago. But if I made them today I could name them:
I Just Got a REAL Job Bars.
Or I Forgot How Rude Teenagers Can Be Bars.
Or I Filled Up With Gas Before the Price Went Up Bars.
I the last one hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will tomorrow and then I may just have to celebrate with these bars.
They are perfect for any "celebration" in your life!
1 cup butter- softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (I used a 10x 15, but maybe 13 x 18 would be better).
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter- softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons milk
food coloring (if desired)
Frosting: Combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined. Then add milk and food coloring mix until smooth and spreading consistency. I like to beat frosting for at least 5 minutes so it's light and fluffy.
I was told by a friend that this is the most amazing frosting she has ever had. She couldn't eat the bars but asked for a container of frosting instead!!
They are so delicious.
This is what the pan looked like the next morning. Pretty sure the rest were devoured shortly after this picture was taken.
I apologize for the large clump of words. I have tried several times to put spaces throughout but they disappear when I post. Can anybody help me?

2 comments:

Kristi said...

can't help you with the spaces, but call me next time you make them, and I will help you eat them.

dragonflydreamer said...

I've been having the same problem with the spaces. My son clicked on the html tab and in front of the word that I wanted to start the new sentence he typed >br< and it worked. If you still have problems, let me know and my son might be able to explain it to you better.