Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pancake Tuesday 2008

Growing up, my family celebrated Pancake Tuesday every year. I thought it was just a day to celebrate the glorious pancake. Then I googled it and learned so much.

For centuries, the English have celebrated Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent, with merriment and antics and, especially, great quantities of pancakes. In fact, the fried flat cakes became so i important to the holiday that is has also been called Pancake Day, or Pancake Tuesday.

Long ago, strict Christian Lenten rules prohibited the eating of all dairy products, so keen housewives made pancakes to use up their supplies of eggs, milk, butter and other fats. They could be easily made and cooked in a skillet or on a griddle. Families ate stacks of them, and pancakes were popular with all classes.

Thank goodness for google and thank goodness for pancakes. On my drive home this fine Pancake Tuesday evening, I was dreaming about what I would put on my pancakes. I stopped at the grocery store and purchased bananas and strawberries. They quickly became a part of my Pancake Tuesday dream. I do enjoy peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes and thought maybe I would add a little banana. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy. Try it.

On my next pancake I put Nutella and strawberries. Not as tasty as the first but still delightful. (for some reason it tastes better on toast). Maybe adding syrup would make it truly amazing.
I am tired. And MUST go to bed now. May you all have sweet Pancake Tuesday dreams.
Goodnight!

2 comments:

aniC said...

my invitation to pancake tuesday must have gotten lost in the mail.

Sydney said...

I did not celebrate pancake Tuesday but I think I will after seeing those delicious concotions of yours!! YUM-O!!